DIY Christian Louboutin glitter pumps! Tutorial
I know what you're thinking: Uh, glitter shoes are for strippers and Wizard of Oz costumes... but actually, apparently they are back in! And I know I don't need them, but I am very proud of how I replicated these $595 Christian Louboutin pumps with some $6 Target heels, some Mod Podge, glitter, and red spray paint (for the signature red sole!!).
Yeah, they also come in fuchsia, but I'm not that funky...
So, take a look at my tutorial for these babies.
- I started with these nice (but boring) brown leather pumps I got on clearance a while ago from Target for $6.24. I think it works best with real leather since it's softer and more pliable than vinyl. I also used my handy vintage tray to keep all the glitter and Mod Podge in one place.
- I used JoAnn's almost-micro glitter in the gold, silver, and copper package.
- I stuffed the shoes with plastic bags and sprayed them with plain gold spray paint. They actually looked pretty good with just the spray paint, too.
- Mix your Mod Podge with some of the beautiful glitter.
- Using the sponge dauber, swipe/wipe/blot the Mod Podge mixture onto the shoes, all over. I didn't take any pictures of this stage but I did several steps of this: blot, wait to dry, blot a second coat, etc. Seriously, like three or four coats to get it all. Then they looked like this:
- Then, cover the surface of the shoes in tape/plastic bags. I cut a hole in the bottom of the plastic bag, put the shoe through it, and taped it all around with fairly weak tape. I was afraid of the tape peeling off the nicely 'Podged glitter, so I used this really cheap masking tape I had.
- With red spray paint, spray the soles of the shoes to get that special Christian Louboutin signature. Eeee!!
All done!!! I am so excited! I'm sure the red will wear off as I wear them, but not on the part under the arch. Besides the inside color (the original Christian Louboutins have a pale tan leather lining and my Isaac Mizrahi for Target pair has dark faux leather) and the shape, they are very similar!!!