Top Sewing Circle Questions
I try to answer your Sewing Circle dilemmas! Basically, you send me an email or write on Facebook with your question, then I write back with my thoughts and, generally, a long list of patterns that might work. Sometimes I write up a post about it and share it as a Sewing Circle piece, and other readers chip in their ideas! It's great to get lots of folks' thoughts, because often they've seen something else that works great! Note that it sometimes takes me up a few weeks to get back to you if I'm swamped, so no last-minute projects, please!
**Before you write me your question, please do a little research yourself. I start out by perusing Simplicity, Vogue, the other big pattern companies, as well as great smaller ones like Colette. I also check BurdaStyle. Please look around there yourself, if you have the sewing knowledge to know what kind of pattern you're looking for, before emailing me--you never know, the perfect pattern could be staring you in the face if you just look for it!
There are some questions I get more often than others, so let me list my answers to them for you all in one place!
Common Sewing Circle Questions:
Basic Sewing Info:
- Favorite simple sewing/dress patterns for beginners
- How to sew with patterns
- How to choose the right pattern size
- How to get the right fit when sewing with a pattern
- What is a lining?
- How to buy a sewing machine
- Best fabrics for beginners
- How to sew with lace
- How to sew on silk
- How to sew on knits
- Good lining fabrics for summer
- What to make with lace that isn't too bridal
- How to buy a dress form
- How to modify a pattern for a backless dress
- How to combine bodice and skirt patterns
- How to mix and match patterns
- Making your own swimsuit
- Good patterns for work clothes
- Making a draped crossover bodice dress
- What to do with a yard of wool
- What to DIY vs. what to buy at a store?
Hope that list gives you a good start!!