Sewing Circle: Mystery: Draped crossover bodice for a bridesmaid dress
Q: My friend is making my bridesmaid dresses for my wedding in the summer and we are looking for a pattern that looks something like this ModCloth dress, which is sold out!:
Are you aware of any?! Any help would be much appreciated :)
Thanks for your email, and thanks for reading! That is a super cute dress! But, I don’t have any great news for you… I have never seen a pattern for something like that, and the draping, while not terribly difficult if you know what you’re doing, isn’t something I’m super familiar with. I don’t know what level seamstress your friend is, but if she doesn’t know how to drape on a mannequin and use a base strapless dress pattern, it may not work out terribly easily.
I did find some patterns that could give the same feel, however. For the bodice, try:
- Simplicity 2250. Imagine it in a dressier fabric and without the straps, and it's pretty close!
- Vogue V8150, and cut it off at the natural waist and adjust to make it strapless.
- Simplicity 1908--not asymmetrical but ruched, and super cute!
- Simplicity 2252, again, just cut it at the natural waist.
- Simplicity 2251, not strapless but asymmetrical.
- Vogue V1273, not asymmetrical but cute.
- McCall's M6330, not strapless but asymmetrically draped.
So, sorry, nothing exact! But maybe you like some of those.
As for the skirt, you don't need a pattern and can easily make it with panels of fabric to the length you want, but you could use a pattern like version C or D of Simplicity 2512--except modify it to make sure it will fit a dress with a natural waistline, unlike the skirt by itself with a slightly dropped waist.
Although if I were you I would just try out making a muslin of the skirt and play with length, draping, etc. Since you'll be making multiples, it may really be worth the extra time!
Its SUCH a cute dress. I'd like to have one for myself, and I think I have some extra grey fabric... you've inspired me!
Readers, what suggestions do you have for Katie and her friend on their bridesmaid dress efforts? Do you vote for any of the patterns I suggested, or do you have other ideas? Have you played around with crossover draping?