I can't believe I'm writing this.... Why I no longer need shampoo!
That all sounds great, but when it comes down to it, I was shocked to hear that one of my favorite podcast ladies doesn't use shampoo. No conditioner, either. She washes her hair, but without any "products" at all.
I'm not a big fan of the name, but... a Google search for "no shampoo method" yields a lot of results, including a Wikipedia entry for "no poo."
I read Liz's original post and instructions on the No Poo method, her No Poo results, and even a recent post for troubleshooting the No Poo method, but wasn't convinced until I tried it. (She's not alone--I found more instructions in this post on Simple Mom.) I am seriously blown away.
Update: I love how DIY methods are always changing. I did very well with the No Poo method but have since switched to honey shampoo--read about that here and an update here!
No shampoo method results
So here goes the controversial part... hope you can handle it! ;) I tried to tone down the TMI but I wanted to be honest about how my hair and head are responding!
I tried the "no poo" route and I love it. So far I've already observed these benefits of the baking soda/vinegar method:
- My hands feel soft and smooth after the shower rather than dry and scaly. My hands felt exfoliated and moisturized after sudsing the baking soda mixture and then the vinegar.
- Less grease. I can go an extra day without washing it now, before it gets a little greasy by the scalp.
- Less frizz. Since I can remember I've had to fight my naturally almost curly/frizzy-when-clean hair. It's definitely less clown-like now and curls easier with brushing! I used to have to avoid brushing while it was clean to avoid extreme pouf!
- Less dandruff. I never had much but there's virtually none now.
- Sounds kinda weird, but... I love the natural smell of hair, with no flowery perfumey chemicals on it. I was a little hesitant to tell anyone about this new routine, but when I told my mom she insisted on smelling my hair and was over the moon about how nice it smelled!! Who knew?!
My hair isn't at its most styled-ness in these photos, but here it is on DAY TWO. No grease at all!
My husband has also used the baking soda/water squeeze bottle in the shower, and says it's working great for him. I had a short transition period the second and third times I tried it--my hair was a little extra greasy in reaction to not being stripped every time I washed. But I just wore it up those days and it felt great on the fourth wash!
Next crazy natural beauty routine??
Next crazy alternative body care method I want to try? Alternatives to chemical toothpastes. I also want to make my own laundry and dish soap--those I know I can do when I get around to it. Here's a simple dish soap I want to try. Anyone had any success with that kind of DIY??!
Update: I also love the honey shampoo method--read about that here and an update here!