A dress of my own invention
I wanted to make a dress I could wear for work or a tasteful summer wedding or something, and a friend was giving away a good amount of 100% cotton navy blue twill sateen--good stuff. I did a little mental designing, and put together two patterns and a variation on the bodice!!
I used one of my fave dress patterns, Butterick B4915, for the bodice, but I freehand cut the bodice totally differently--much wider straps and the back is solid rather than cross-over. I used the midriff panel as-is... I love that thing, makes your waist look so small.
I cut a bunch of 4"-or-so wide bias, folded it together, and ruffled it. I pinned it carefully to the front, right sides together, and sandwiched it between the fashion fabric and lining. It stands up just like I hoped it would!