Recipe back story!: We eat a lot of sweet potatoes, especially on days when we work out at the gym in the weight room, and I'm always up for making favorite foods a new way. Mashed or baked sweet potatoes are great, but sometimes I really like to get creative and try them grated and cooked in a skillet, or roasted with other veggies!
But this weekend, with two massive sweet potatoes in the fridge (seriously, SO big - why was this one organic variety so big!?), I decided to try a cold recipe, something totally new for us. As I shared on Instagram last weekend, I whipped together this simple whole food sweet potato salad with a few super basic ingredients, and created a delicious take on a classic summer food!
Oh, and the coincidence? In between the time I decided to make the salad and the time we got home and I made the salad, we went to my in-laws' house. My mother-in-law has a recipe card stand up in the kitchen. I glanced at it at guess what recipe was on top?! "Sweet potato salad"!
Crazy! Great minds think alike, I guess! The recipe was very simple and pretty much what I had in mind, although hers used carrots as well as celery. I took the suggestion, and tried it out!
Here are the ingredients!
- 1 large or 1/2 massive cooked sweet potato, in 1" chunks
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1-2 carrots
- 1-2 sticks celery (try it with 1 unless you loooove celery)
- Approx. 2 tbsp olive oil or homemade mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste (I added a lot of salt, maybe 1/2 tsp)
- Optional add-ins I just realized might also be good ;) : fresh chives, chopped bacon, or chili powder!
- Prepare ingredients separately: slice eggs in egg slicer, then chop opposite direction.
- Finely chop carrots and celery.
- Combine all ingredients with cooked sweet potatoes and gently toss.
Add a sprig of parsley like I did if you want to feel fancy! Enjoy!