The SIMPLEST fancy dessert recipe - paleo flourless chocolate cake! You can do it!
We just got back from a lovely long weekend visiting husband's grandparents in one of the most beautiful places on earth, the Olympic Peninsula, on a ridge overlooking the strait out to Canada. 270 degree views and no one else around, just family and relaxing and books. It's pretty great when we get up there.
We're often celebrating birthdays or other reasons for treats, and I've made this [mostly] Paleo flourless chocolate cake/torte FIVE times now while we've been up there visiting! Husband's grandparents and the family love it, and it's SO simple and can be made with ingredients they already have on hand.
It's inspired by this recipe, with a few tweaks since I've made it five times now! Here's my version!
Super Simple Paleo Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 18 oz high quality dark chocolate pieces (Enjoy Life chocolate chips or chunks of ~70% dark chocolate)
- 1 c. grassfed unsalted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder for dusting
You will also need a springform pan--a 9" one will make a taller/more traditional looking cake, or a 10" one will make a flatter one for more, smaller pieces and easier to cut.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Melt the chocolate and fat of choice in a double boiler (or very carefully in a saucepan). Stir constantly until chocolate is fully melted.
- Transfer the chocolate to the bowl of an electric stand mixer or use a handheld mixer and beat in vanilla and sea salt. Then beat in eggs, slowly, whipping on medium-high.
- Grease a 9" springform pan with more coconut oil, ghee, or butter (I used a 10" pan--makes it flatter, a little easier to cut but less cake-like) and dust it with cocoa powder. Add cake batter to pan.
- Wrap the base of the pan with foil to keep water from getting in. Fill a larger casserole dish or pan with water reaching halfway up the side of the cake.
- Bake for 50 minutes--cake will be set but still shiny and a little wet in the middle.
- Refrigerate about 4-6 hours or until firm before removing sides of pan.
Serve with fresh berries, homemade compote, homemade whipped cream or coconut cream, and/or vanilla ice cream or coconut milk ice cream! What a treat no matter what you garnish it with!
Depending on the sweetness of your chocolate chips or chocolate, you may or may not want to serve it with something else sweet like ice cream. We really enjoyed it with fresh local summer berries!
Shop the kitchen essentials used in this post here!