Sweater makeover, easy ruffled vest tutorial
Sweater-into-Tie Vest Tutorial
I started out with an old sweater from Old Navy--it's a little too snug, too short, and sort of boring.
- I started by turning it from a pullover into an open-front. Cut down the center.
- Next, I cut off the sleeves below the shoulder "seam"--this way the shoulder stays intact and won't ravel.
- Now, you have two sleeve pieces. Cut them open down the long seams.
- Even the sleeve pieces out by trimming the wider part off in loooong, skinny triangles. These two big rectangular sleeve pieces will turn into the ruffles around the collar.
- Cut the sleeve pieces into bias strips.
- Sew the bias strips together and press the seams flat.
It looked to me like I wouldn't have enough of the bias to make it ruffly all the way around the neck and collar, so I cut my bias piece longways in half.
- Next, you'll gather one side of the bias piece with a large stitch and tight tension.
- This next step is optional: for more interesting shape, I trimmed the bottom corners of the center front of the open vest.
- Back to the bias strips: pin the gathered bias cut ruffle onto the front of the vest and get ready to sew it down (wrong side to right side).
- Sew it down, going around the curve/angle of the collar.
- I wanted some ties, so I trimmed off the extra triangle from the other side of the long sleeve seams and sewed them down at the point in the front:
Here it is!