Pretty bra straps? A crazy tutorial
In one of my magazines I heard about the Maidenform Charmed line, which has come out with some pretty bras, including two with pretty lace or straps--so it doesn't matter if they poke out from under your sundress!
This gave me an idea--again, please don't judge me too much if you think I'm ridiculous for doing this! ;)
I took an old bra that I liked but didn't care too much about, and added wide lace ribbon straps instead of the elastic ones. I removed the straps that came on it to do this. That's okay with me; they were kinda dirty already, you know how white bra straps get. It may be close to time for a new bra, but until then, I have pretty bra straps that look like another layer of tank or something, not too lingerie-ey!
You can do this with a regular bra or a strapless (I also tried it with one of those removable strap ones).
- Cut off the straps if necessary. you're going to sew at the point where the old strap attached to the bra.
- Pin your lace or ribbon onto the bra. I like to make it continue to the bottom of the band, just for less strain on the stretchy nylon.
- Sew along the ribbon or lace (I matched my top thread to the lace, bobbin to the bra) in line with the band.
- Great. Now, try on you bra and pull the straps toward the front. Pin them in place where they'll meet on the front, and try to move around a lot as you do when you wear a bra normally. These won't have as much stretch as modern bra straps, so you want them at a nice medium length (not the tightest, not the loosest). You can always buy lingerie sliding pieces to use with your ribbon or lace, but I went the easy way and just chose a length. No pics of this part! Don't want to show the internet too much of my undies.
- Make sure both sides match in length, or are close, and pin in place.
- If you're doing this on a strapless, tuck the ribbon or lace behind the edge of the bra. If you do it on a regular bra, I suggest putting it in front of the cut-off part and finishing it nicely.
Ta-da! Super easy and fast!